|15th Governor of Lagos State|
29 May 2019
|Preceded by||Akinwunmi Ambode|
Babajide Ugonna Olusola Sanwo-Olu
25 June 1965
|Political party||All Progressives Congress|
|Alma mater||University of Lagos
London Business School
Lagos Business School
Institute of Management Development
John F. Kennedy School of Government
Babajide Ugonna Olusola Sanwo-Olu (born 25 June, 1968) is a Nigerian politician and the current Governor of Lagos State. He became governor under the platform of the All Progressives Congress after contesting and unexpectedly winning the gubernatorial primaries under the All Progressives Congress against incumbent Governor Akinwunmi Ambode of Lagos State in October 2019. He is a graduate of the University of Lagos, as well as the London Business School, Lagos Business School, and the John F. Kennedy School of Government. Before his gubernatorial ambition, he was the managing director and CEO of Lagos State Property Development Corporation (LSPDC).
Sanwo-Olu briefly attended Government Demonstration School, Gbaja Surulere before moving to Ijebu-Ife Grammar School, Ogun State to complete his secondary education. He has a BSc in Surveying and an MBA from the University of Lagos. He is an alumnus of the John F. Kennedy School of Government, the London Business School, and the Lagos Business School.
He is an associate member of the Chartered Institute of Personnel Management (CIPM) and a fellow of the Nigeria Institute of Training and Development (NITAD).
Babajide Olusola Sanwo-Olu was the treasurer at the former Lead Merchant Bank from 1994 to 1997 after which he moved to the United Bank for Africa as the head of the foreign money market. He then proceeded to First Inland Bank, Plc (now First City Monument Bank) as a deputy general manager and divisional head. He was the chairman of Baywatch Group Limited and First Class Group Limited.
Babajide Olusola Sanwo-Olu began his political career in 2003 when he was appointed a Special Adviser on Corporate Matters to the then-deputy governor of Lagos State, Femi Pedro. He was later made the acting Commissioner for Economic Planning and Budget until 2007 when he was appointed as the Commissioner for Commerce and Industry by then-Governor, Bola Tinubu. After the General Elections of 2007, Babajide Olusola Sanwo-Olu was appointed Commissioner for Establishments, Training, and Pensions by Governor Babatunde Fashola. Babajide Olusola Sanwo-Olu was made Managing Director/CEO of the Lagos State Development and Property Corporation (LSDPC) by Governor Akinwunmi Ambode in 2016.
Some of his notable public sector achievements include the supervision of the Bureau of Public Enterprises (BPE) privatization projects. He set up and was the Pioneer Board Chairman of Lagos Security Trust Fund. The LAGBUS System and the Control & Command Centre in Alausa Ikeja were subsequently established under his directives.
On 16 September 2018, Babajide Olusola Sanwo-Olu formally declared his intention to run for the office of the governor of Lagos State under the platform of the All Progressives Congress (APC) making him a major contender to the incumbent governor Akinwunmi Ambode.
His declaration attracted endorsements from major stakeholders in Lagos State politics; including the Governor’s Advisory Council of the Lagos chapter of the All Progressives Congress and members of the Lagos State House of Assembly, which led to the withdrawal of Dr. Obafemi Hamzat, a governorship aspirant on the platform of the All Progressives Congress APC in Lagos from the gubernatorial race.
He won the Lagos gubernatorial primaries of the All Progressives Congress (APC) on 2 October 2018. At the APC flag-off campaign rally held on 8 January 2019, the Governor of Lagos, Akinwunmi Ambode, and 63 political parties lent their support to the candidacy of Mr. Babajide Sanwo-Olu. In a landslide victory over his opponent, Jimi Agbaje, Sanwo-Olu was elected to the Office of Governor of Lagos State at the 2019 General elections for Lagos State which were held on 9 March 2019. He was sworn in as the 15th Governor of Lagos State at the Tafawa Balewa Square (TBS) Lagos Island on Wednesday, May 29, 2019.
He has been working on different development activities, one of which is road construction across major areas in Lagos state. Recently, Sanwo-olu asked that the statue of Fela Kuti that was erected by Akinwunmi Ambode be removed from Allen Avenue in Ikeja as to ease the situation of traffic in that area. However, the statue is said to be relocated to a more convenient area in Lagos state. The Governor commissioned the Oshodi – Abule-Egba BRT Lane amongst other projects in 2020.
Babajide Olusola Sanwo-Olu has obtained a variety of awards in his career, some of which include:
- Platinum award from the Lagos State Public Service Club.
- 2009 Best in Human Capital Development award from the Industrial Training Fund (ITF).
- Merit award from the Association of National Accountants of Nigeria.
- Merit award from the Chartered Institute of Personnel Management in Nigeria (CIPMN).
- Merit Award from the Association of Professional Women Engineers of Nigeria (APWEN).
- LSDPC Impactful Leadership and Recognition Award.
- Media Nite-Out Award for Best Governor of the Year (2020).
Babajide Olusola Sanwo-Olu is married to Dr. Ibijoke Sanwo-Olu.
He is estimated to be worth between $5m – $10m
- “2023 Presidency: Sanwo-Olu mobilises APC leaders, communities for Tinubu”. Vanguard News. 11 February 2022. Retrieved 5 March 2022.
- Adekunle (3 October 2018). “Breaking: Ebri’s panel declares Sanwo-Olu winner of Lagos APC primary”. Vanguard. Retrieved 3 October 2018.
- Opejobi, Seun (2 October 2018). “Tinubu ‘anointed’ candidate, Sanwo-Olu defeats Ambode in Alausa”. Daily Post. Retrieved 3 October 2018.
- Nwafor, Polycarp (12 September 2018). “Babajide Sanwo-Olu: the cool, calm, dynamic technocrat who wants to unseat Ambode”. Vanguard. Retrieved 2 October 2018.
- Olasupo, Abisola (2 October 2018). “Ambode’s deputy declares support for Sanwo-Olu”. Guardian. Retrieved 3 October 2018.
- “Igbo group endorses Sanwo-Olu for second term”. Punch Newspapers. 6 March 2023. Retrieved 7 March 2023.
- Staff, Daily Post (1 March 2019). “Infographic on Sanwo-Olu’s biography”. Daily Post Nigeria. Retrieved 2 March 2023.
KNOWLEDGE is POWERFUL. Please kindly share Newstime Worldwide website and videos with all your family and friends and contacts Worldwide, thanks. Almighty GOD continue to bless you always.
Newstime Worldwide is not responsible for external websites’ content.
IF YOU LIKE WHAT YOU ARE READING AT NEWSTIME..,
PLEASE KINDLY LET US KNOW, IF THERE IS SOMETHING WE COULD BE DOING BETTER, WE WILL LIKE TO KNOW THAT TOO.
PLEASE KINDLY SEND US YOUR COMMENTS, QUESTIONS AND SUGGESTIONS. THANKS FOR TAKING THE TIME AND TROUBLE TO READ NEWSTIME WORLDWIDE.
NEWSTIME STAFF AND MANAGEMENT.