David Lyon Perewonrimi
20 December 1970
Olugbobiri, Southern Ijaw, Bayelsa State, Nigeria
|Political party||All Progressives Congress|
David Lyon Perewonrimi (born 20 December 1970) is a Nigerian politician and the former governorship candidate of the All Progressives Congress in the 2019 Bayelsa gubernatorial election. He was declared the winner of the election, but a day after his swearing-in as governor, his election was invalidated by the Supreme Court of Nigeria. The Apex court ruled that his running mate Degi Eremienyo Wangagra submitted a fake certificate to the Independent National Electoral Commission while ordering that Douye Diri of the People’s Democratic Party who came second in the election be issued a certificate of return, which would make him governor-elect.
Early life and education
Lyon was born to Mr. and Mrs. Arukubu Lyon Ekpeke of the Abebiri family of the Eubiri compound, Olugbobiri community in Olodiama clan, Southern Ijaw Local Government Area, Bayelsa State, Nigeria. From 1978 to 1983, he attended his primary education at Saint Gabriel’s State School Olugbobiri and secondary education at a Community secondary school, Olugbobiri, from 1984 to 1988. He preceded Rivers State College of Education for his National Certificate of Education (NCE) in Mathematics and Chemistry.
Lyon started his career as a foreman in Western Geophysical Company Limited, before moving on to become the Chief Executive Officer (CEO) of Darlon Oil and Gas Nigeria Limited, Darlon Group Nigeria Limited, and Arutex and Sons Nigeria Limited.
Lyon joined politics in the Third Republic, as a member of the defunct, National Republican Congress (NRC). He contested and won a councilorship election at Ward 4 in Southern Ijaw, but the military incursion aborted his tenure in 1997. He went on to become a founding member of the People’s Democratic Party (PDP) in Southern Ijaw. He was later appointed as the Caretaker Committee Chairman of Apoi Olodiama Local Government Development Center in 2000.
In 2015, he decamped to the All Progressives Congress and contested the Bayelsa State governorship primary election in September 2019, where he emerged as the party’s candidate.
On 18 November 2019, he contested the governorship elections and was declared the governor-elect of Bayelsa State by the Independent National Electoral Commission, INEC.
On 13 February 2020, a day prior to his swearing-in as governor, his election was invalidated by the Supreme Court of Nigeria. The Apex court ruled that his running mate Degi Eremienyo Wangagra submitted a fake certificate to the Independent National Electoral Commission while ordering that Douye Diri of the People’s Democratic Party who came second in the election be issued a certificate of return, which would make him governor-elect.
1. His full name is David Lyon Perewonrimi
2. He is the CEO of Darlon Security and Guard, a private security firm in Bayelsa state.
3. He was born into the Olodiana clan of the Southern Ijaw local government area of the state.
4. He is not a very popular face in the Bayelsa political landscape.
5. He contested under the platform of PDP as an aspirant to represent the Southern Ijaw constituency IV in 2011.
6. He defected from PDP in 2015 to join the ruling APC.
7. He was born on December 20, 1970, in the Olugbobiri community.
8. He attended Saint Gabriel’s State School Olugbobiri, from 1978 to 1983
9. He attended a community secondary school, Olugbobiri, from 1984 to 1988.
10. He went to Rivers State College of Education 13. He possesses a National Certificate of Education (NCE).
He is estimated to be worth between $2m – $7m
SEE ALSO – Leaders Bio – Jo Ann Hardesty Biography, Age, Career, Marital Status, Salary and Net Worth
- “INEC declares APC winner of Bayelsa governorship election”. Punch Newspapers. 18 November 2019. Retrieved 18 November 2019.
- Tsa, Godwin (14 November 2019). “Breaking News: Supreme Court sacks Lyon, Bayelsa gov-elect, for presenting running mate with fake qualification”. Sun News NG. Retrieved 13 February 2020.
- “Bayelsa Governorship election 2019: Supreme Court cancel David Lyon election, declare Douye Diri of PDP winner”. BBC. 13 February 2020. Retrieved 13 February 2020.
- Ayeni, Tolulope (17 November 2019). “David Lyon Biography, Life History, Profile, Age”. KikioTolu News. Retrieved 18 November 2019.
- Adegun, Aanu (18 November 2019). “Bayelsa election: 13 things to know about incoming governor David Lyon”. Legit.ng. Retrieved 18 November 2019.
KNOWLEDGE is POWERFUL. Please kindly share Newstime Worldwide website and videos with all your family and friends and contacts Worldwide, thanks. Almighty GOD continue to bless you always.
Newstime Worldwide is not responsible for external websites’ content.
IF YOU LIKE WHAT YOU ARE READING AT NEWSTIME..,
PLEASE KINDLY LET US KNOW, IF THERE IS SOMETHING WE COULD BE DOING BETTER, WE WILL LIKE TO KNOW THAT TOO.
PLEASE KINDLY SEND US YOUR COMMENTS, QUESTIONS AND SUGGESTIONS. THANKS FOR TAKING THE TIME AND TROUBLE TO READ NEWSTIME WORLDWIDE.
NEWSTIME STAFF AND MANAGEMENT.