Dr. Sandy Onor
|Member of the Senate of Nigeria|
June 11, 2019
|Preceded by||John Owan Enoh|
|Constituency||Cross River Central|
Sandy Ojang Onor
14 February 1966
|Political party||People’s Democratic Party|
|Alma mater||University of Calabar|
Sandy Ojang Onor (born 14 February 1966) is a Senator of the Federal Republic of Nigeria. He was elected in 2019 to represent Cross River Central Senatorial District in the 9th Assembly of the Senate. He is a member of the People’s Democratic Party (PDP).
Early life and education
Sandy Ojang Onor was born in the city of Ikom in the Ikom Local Government Area of Cross River State. In his early education, he attended St. Francis, FSLC 1971 – 1975 and St. Brendan’s GEC (O level) 1976 – 1981 all of which are both in Obubra LGA. Onor University education was at the University of Calabar, where he studied History. Graduating with a Bachelor of Arts degree (Second Class (Upper Division) 1983 – 1987. He holds a Doctor of Philosophy (Ph.D.) in History from the University of Calabar 1988 – 1993.
Onor is currently married, he is a devoted Christian and educationist, administrator, and philanthropist.
He wrote books, and several articles and has influenced many policies in the Nigerian-Cross River State Local Government System.
- Imbua, David L., Onor, Sandy O. & Odey, Patrick O. A (Ed.) Companion to African History in the Nineteenth and Twentieth Centuries. Makurdi, Aboki Publishers, 2017.
- Omagu, Donald O. & Onor, Sandy O. (Ed.) The Nigeria Civil War: Narratives from Some Border Communities. London: Bahiti & Dalila Publishers, 2016.
- Onor, Sandy Ojang. The Ejagham Nation in the Cross River Region of Nigeria. Ibadan: Kraft Books, 1994; Reprinted by Aboki Publishers, Makurdi 2016.
- Onor, Sandy Ojang. Local Governance in Nigeria: Evolution, Growth, Problems, and Solutions. Lagos: Amazingrafiks Limited, 2005.
Awards and recognitions
- Best Graduating Student In History, University of Calabar 1987
- Professor Eyo Ita Prize for Best Graduating Student in History, University of Calabar 1987
- Chief Ekanem Ita Prize for Best Graduating Student in History University of Calabar 1987
- NLC Prize for Excellence in Labour Management in Cross River State 2001
- Honorary Fellow, Chartered Institute of Local Government and Public Administration of Nigeria 2001
- Member Historical Society of Nigeria.
- Director Duraform Company Ltd. Ikom 1993
- Executive Chairman, Etung Local Government Council, Cross River State 1999 – 2002
- State Chairman, Association of Local Government of Nigeria (ALGON), Cross River State Chapter 1999 – 2002
- Deputy National President of ALGON 1999 – 2002
- Chairman, Local Government Service Commission 2004 – 2008
- Commissioner For Agriculture 2010 – 2011
- Commissioner for Environment 2012 – 2013
- “‘Insecurity will fizzle out if states allow local councils to function properly'”. The Guardian Nigeria News – Nigeria and World News. 2020-02-08. Retrieved 2022-02-21.
- “Senator Sandy Onor declares interest for Cross River governorship in 2023”. Tribune Online. 2021-12-14. Retrieved 2022-02-21.
- clement (2019-04-24). “9th Senate: See Why Election For Senate President Would Spring A Surprise”. SundiataPost. Retrieved 2019-05-14.
- “C/River Central Senator-Elect, Sandy Onor Receives Certificate of Return – PHOTOS”. Boki Blog. Retrieved 2019-05-14.
- Newspapers, BluePrint (2019-03-14). “See full list of 101 senators-elect to get Certificate of Return”. Blueprint. Retrieved 2019-05-14.
- “The Paradise – Local, National and International News
KNOWLEDGE is POWERFUL. Please kindly share Newstime Worldwide website and videos with all your family and friends and contacts Worldwide, thanks. Almighty GOD continue to bless you always.
Newstime Worldwide is not responsible for external websites’ content.
IF YOU LIKE WHAT YOU ARE READING AT NEWSTIME..,
PLEASE KINDLY LET US KNOW, IF THERE IS SOMETHING WE COULD BE DOING BETTER, WE WILL LIKE TO KNOW THAT TOO.
PLEASE KINDLY SEND US YOUR COMMENTS, QUESTIONS AND SUGGESTIONS. THANKS FOR TAKING THE TIME AND TROUBLE TO READ NEWSTIME WORLDWIDE.
NEWSTIME STAFF AND MANAGEMENT.