In This Biography
Remi Sonaiya Biography, Age, Career, Husband, Networth, Education.
Who is Remi Sonaiya?
Oluremi Comfort Sonaiya (born March 2, 1955), is a Nigerian politician, educationalist, and writer. She was Nigeria‘s only female presidential candidate in the 2015 general election under the platform of the KOWA Party. But recently lost her bid to Dr. Adesina Fagbenro Byron in representing the party again in the 2019 election.
|Born||March 2, 1955
Ibadan, Oyo state, Nigeria
Early life and education
Sonaiya was born in Ibadan, the capital of Oyo State, where she completed her primary and secondary school education at St. Luke’s Demonstration School, Ibadan, and St. Anne’s School, Ibadan. In 1977, she graduated from the University of Ife (now Obafemi Awolowo University), where she studied French.
She later obtained a Master of Arts degree in French Literature from Cornell University in the United States, and another master’s degree in Linguistics from a university in Nigeria in 1984. She returned to Cornell in 1988 to pursue a Ph.D. program in Linguistics.
In 1982, she was employed as an Assistant Lecturer in the Department of Foreign Languages, Obafemi Awolowo University before she rose to the position of Professor of French Language and Applied Linguistics in 2004. She is a fellow of the Alexander von Humboldt Foundation where she went on to be appointed the body’s Ambassador Scientist from 2008 to 2014.
In 2010, she retired from her position at Obafemi Awolowo University and became politically active, joining the KOWA Party where she was voted its National Public Relations Officer and went on to be the party’s candidate for the 2015 Presidential election. At the election, Sonaiya received 13,076 votes and finished in 12th place.
Sonaiya is a columnist for The Niche, a Nigerian online newspaper, Sonaiya has published several books including:
- Culture and Identity on Stage: Social-political Concerns and Enactments in Contemporary African Performing Arts (2001) ISBN 9789782015785
- Language Matters: Exploring the Dimensions of Multilingualism (2007)
- A Trust to Earn – Reflections on Life and Leadership in Nigeria (2010) ISBN 9789789115983
- Igniting Consciousness – Nigeria and Other Riddles (2013) ISBN 9785108473
- Daybreak Nigeria – This Nation Must Rise! (2014) ISBN 9789785205732
Remi Sonaiya’s Husband
She is married to Babafunso Sonaiya, a professor of animal science, and they have one son, one daughter, and grandchildren.
- “Nigeria’s first female presidential candidate done with ‘cheerleading'”. Vanguard News. March 18, 2015. Retrieved July 17, 2016.
- McBain, Will (March 26, 2015). “Nigeria election: The country’s first-ever female presidential candidate hoping to inspire other women to become politically active”. The Independent. Retrieved July 17, 2016.
- “Exclusive Interview With Professor Remi Sonaiya, KOWA Candidate For President of Nigeria”. Sahara Reporters. February 7, 2015. Retrieved July 17, 2016.
- “Fagbenro Byron Emerges as (KOWA) partys President candidate”. Pulse.ng. Retrieved February 11, 2020.
- Sanni, Kunle (September 30, 2018). “2019: KOWA Party announces presidential candidate”. The Premium Times, Nigeria. Retrieved March 11, 2019.
- “Biography”. Retrieved July 17, 2016.
- Varghese, Johnlee (March 12, 2015). “Nigeria Elections 2015: Who is Comfort Remi Sonaiya, the Only Female Presidential Candidate?”. International Business Times. Retrieved July 17, 2016.
- “OAU Students Jettison Ex-Lecturer Sonaiya”. Daily Times of Nigeria. March 28, 2015. Retrieved July 17, 2016.
KNOWLEDGE is POWERFUL. Please kindly share Newstime Worldwide website and videos with all your family and friends and contacts Worldwide, thanks. Almighty GOD continue to bless you always.
Newstime Worldwide is not responsible for external websites’ content.
IF YOU LIKE WHAT YOU ARE READING AT NEWSTIME..,
PLEASE KINDLY LET US KNOW, IF THERE IS SOMETHING WE COULD BE DOING BETTER, WE WILL LIKE TO KNOW THAT TOO.
PLEASE KINDLY SEND US YOUR COMMENTS, QUESTIONS AND SUGGESTIONS. THANKS FOR TAKING THE TIME AND TROUBLE TO READ NEWSTIME WORLDWIDE.
NEWSTIME STAFF AND MANAGEMENT.